Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rob Rob and Bunny's Restaurant Review: Gilmore's



Rob Rob (two panda thumbs up): First things first--if I were driving myself, parking would be a nightmare. Thankfully Bunny and I reserved a car. While West Chester was a cute little town, parking alone would stop me from going there. This is a serious problem that West Chester must urgently address if it ever expects to attract people from Philadelphia proper or other regions. Until then, West Chester will never live up to its potential.

We were greeted pleasantly when we arrived at Gilmore's, and were shown to a table near the window. The dining room was small, but not too cramped, and the service was also excellent. This noise level was quite low, and overall the atmosphere was very relaxed. Chef Gilmore came out to meet us, and was very excited that we were there to experience and review his restaurant.

The shredded short rib and cheesy polenta appetizer was delicious. It was a bit strangely served in a martini glass, but nonetheless it was absolutely excellent. For dinner I had Salmon with a lobster-flavored béarnaise. It was perhaps the best-cooked salmon I have ever had, but more importantly the sauce was beyond excellent. I would definitely order it again. I asked chef Gilmore if he could serve some steamed bamboo shoots with the salmon, and he was more than happy to oblige. All in all we had an excellent meal, and we highly recommend this establishment.


Bunny (two ears up): I must reiterate Rob Rob’s point about the parking. I’m glad that Cookie warned us about what a nightmare West Chester parking is, other wise I would have driven us over in Rob Rob’s Maserati. Even the tiny Maserati would have been tough to park in West Chester. Thankfully we were driven.

To start, I had the Vol au Vent d’Escargot (snails served in a garlic, hazelnut, and champagne butter sauce). It was excellent. For dinner, I had the Jarret d’Agneu Forestiere (slow braised lamb shank served over couscous). It was gamey, but nonetheless excellent. The couscous was larger than I have previously had, but I liked it that way. All in all an excellent meal, and my complements to Mr. Gilmore and his fine establishment, which is perhaps my new favorite restaurant in the Philly region. Too bad it is so hard to get and park there!

No comments:

Post a Comment