Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rob Rob and Bunny's Movie Review: Enter the Dragon (1973)



Rob Rob's Review (two panda thumbs up): Aside from the fact that this movie has some awesome fight scenes in it, I like it because Bruce Lee plays a Shaolin Monk. The main Shoalin temple was founded in Dengfeng China in the 5th century by Chan Buddhists. Shaolin monks practice the basic peaceful tenants of Buddhism, but when provoked, they release the fury of Shaolin Kung Fu, much like Pandas are typically docile creatures, but when provoked can turn into ferocious warriors.

Bunny's Review (two ears up): I first met Bruce Lee when he was playing Kato in "The Green Hornet," and over the years we hung out a few times here and there. I, like everyone else in the 1970's, was really into the whole idea of being a Kung Fu master. Bruce was one of the few people who actually was one, but it is important for me to point out that Jim Kelly (who plays "Williams," the black American in the film) was also an accomplished marital artist, and later went on to star in many blaxpoitation movies, including "Black Belt Jones" and "Black Samurai." Unfortunately the world lost Bruce not long after this movie was completed (but before he had finished "Game of Death"). However, Jim Kelly and I have crossed paths a few times here and there, and whenever we do, we inevitably light one up, talk about the 70's, and put this movie on. This movie is the definitive 70's Martial Arts movie. So many great fighting scenes and so much cool 70's dialogue (my favorite is when Williams is questioned by Han and Han's men come up behind him ostensibly to take him prisoner, and Williams looks at Han sitting behind the desk and says, "Man, you come straight out of a comic book..."). I have a lot of good memories about hanging out on the set of "Enter the Dragon," so I may be a bit biased, but I really think this is the most important martial arts movies ever. Everyone was involved. I remember meeting Jackie Chan (who played one of the guards) for the first time, and after he walked away, Bruce leaned over to me and said, "Bunny, that guy could be a good marital arts actor, but instead I fear he will make really shitty action-comedy movies..." Bruce was right on, just like he was in this movie. Below is a picture of Bruce snapping Jackie's neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment